Today CDOs play a central leadership role in companies and organizations, ensuring that each corporation makes the most of the information collected for its business needs. In this article, we detail how Web Scraping for Data Directors can be another solution to consolidate the management of the CDO and be able to face new challenges related to the extraction of public data.
Information analysis is evolving rapidly in our organizations, becoming a critical activity in the function of any business. To meet this challenge, many organizations had to adapt not only their operational structure, functions, and competencies, but also their leadership capabilities. In response to this last need, the role of the Chief Data Officer (CDO) arises, a new “seat” on the board of directors.
The emergence of this role arose from three main factors:
- Complexity: With the appearance of data from different sources and in different formats as a result of Big Data, Social Networks, and the Internet of Things, among other triggers; Information analysis activities have become increasingly complex, requiring new capabilities and competencies.
- Importance: The “function” of what we call Analytics is becoming too important in organizations not to formalize it within the agenda of business objectives.
- Agility: To satisfy the information needs of the business and truly obtain a competitive advantage, agility is needed in information processing and analysis times.
The role of the CDO
Considering data as a valuable business asset, many companies today are eager to make the most of opportunities and mitigate risks by hiring Chief Data Officers (CDOs) to do everything in the best way possible.
In terms of role, a chief data officer oversees a variety of corporate data-related functions, ensuring that the company makes the most of the information collected for business needs. As a general rule, the key responsibility of a CDO is to define the data strategy to effectively meet the current needs of the business, but it is vital to ensure that it will also open up possibilities for businesses to realize even more value in the future.
Regarding the history of this role in corporations, the first chief data officer was appointed in 2002 by Capital One. Only a few companies followed suit in the following decade. However, the 2020 Big Data Executive Survey revealed that 57% of senior Fortune 1000 organizations had appointed CDOs. According to Forrester Research, 54% of companies with revenue growth of 10% or more year over year have a CDO while only one-third of companies with revenue growth of less than 4% have such an officer.
A trained data director can provide a competitive advantage to the company they work for and, in times of digitalization and innovation, hiring an expert of this type becomes an increasingly common and urgent demand.
A key position in companies
The Chief Data Officer is primarily responsible for data management, ensuring its quality, and creating a specific data strategy in the organization. Depending on the type of company, it may also be involved in data analysis, the process of extracting knowledge from the information collected, and business intelligence (although these functions may fall to the IT or analysis departments, if they operate in the company, although it is not the recommended option).
CDO is a senior executive in charge of data utilization and distribution across the company and its departments. Therefore, it coordinates data architecture and governance. By determining what works and what doesn’t, a chief data officer helps align investments with the company’s overall business strategy to further increase its profits.
This chief data officer should ensure:
- That the correct data is collected,
- That the information is processed correctly and the data is clean,
- That the processed data is of adequate quality and complies with all compliance regulations,
- That they go on the right path and reach the right person,
- That the data is secure and stored in the correct place.
Benefits of Web Scraping for Data Directors
Web data Mining is used by people and companies who want to use publicly available web data to make smarter decisions. In this sense, Data Scraping is used for various purposes: some of the main use cases include price monitoring and intelligence, news monitoring, lead generation, competitive intelligence, and market research, among many others.
Data scraping involves extracting information from a website and placing it into a custom database. For a data team led by a CDO, the method is an efficient way to obtain a large amount of information for analysis, processing, and visual presentation.
Given that the CDO must truly be a “data evangelist”, capable of driving a data agenda in the organization, using Data Scraping is one of the most appropriate technological solutions to promote this data-driven culture or data-based approach in the organization.
The main benefits of using Data Scraping
compared to manual information analysis tools or databases with traditional rules, are:
- Data Scraping is a very simple method that offers immediate results, profitability (ROI), and at a very low cost. Its implementation is viable for any type of corporation.
- It allows you to monitor information in real-time and bring control of the data to the CDO.
- Frees any of the executives from time and tedious manual tasks, so that they can dedicate themselves to other priorities linked to the company’s strategic planning.
- It is scalable to any type of information volume, company, and business.
- Its flexibility and adaptability to data objectives make it the master key for the CDO to exploit information from public websites that interest them, know the customer, and know the competition.
Data Scraping has become a vital technological solution in the data-driven era, fostering innovation across industries. Its ability to extract and analyze large amounts of data allows companies, researchers, and individuals to make informed decisions, improve data governance, identify trends, and drive innovation. As technology continues to evolve, Data Scraping will play a central role in unlocking the power of data and shaping the future of various industries.
Why Scraping Pros
Scraping Pros specializes in identifying, extracting, and delivering high-quality data in your preferred format, ensuring it is ready for immediate integration into your database or upload queue.
Our data delivery process meets your specific integration requirements, ensuring a seamless and efficient experience. With a focus on reliability, security, robustness, and traceability, we guarantee a reliable solution for all your web data needs. With our experience of more than 15 years in the Data Scraping market, we can effectively solve highly complex data extraction tasks for data directors, guaranteeing uninterrupted access to their data.