The Christmas Season is a key business time, especially for the Retail Industry, and strategic Data Scraping projects have a lot to contribute in this regard. In this post, you will discover the advantages of implementing data scraping in Retail sales during the holiday season.
The retail industry is currently seeing some of the biggest changes in customer bases and shopping trends during the holiday season. To stay competitive and ahead of other companies, e-commerce brands adapt their data scraping or web scraping as an increasingly valuable tool for data extraction and subsequent market analysis, with completely unpublished insights of value to the industry.
Data scraping makes it possible for retailers to track competitors’ product listings, prices, and special promotions. If you find a relevant buying trend or what competitors are doing ahead of time, you can adjust your strategies accordingly. This also happens at any other critical time of the year for sales, such as Black Friday.
In this context, it is desirable to hire a data scraping service team or solution adapted to the Christmas season to guarantee the best results. This wayyou can avoid spending too much, putting in unexpected human effort to collect data, or not fitting a scraping project to the data you would collect during the holiday season.
Why extend data scraping to the Christmas season?
Here are some reasons why it is recommended to scale up your data scraping project as we approach the holiday season:
- Get a broader set of data: The importance of having a broader range of sources and data sets will help improve data analysis and make your broad data coverage more robust. This information will be crucial for making strategic decisions about holiday projects and will likely involve an increase in scraping frequency or broader Internet coverage than during the rest of the year.
- Stay ahead of trends: During the busy months of the holiday season, market trends and fads change at a much faster pace, and day-to-day spending and prices can change dramatically. This would contribute to the need to increase the frequency of scraping, but also to improve the holistic view of a project’s market, to better understand the vacation market as a whole.
- Achieve Adaptability: Data scraping must be scaled up to allow businesses to better adapt to the volatile season and enable more robust marketing campaigns. More robust and comprehensive data scraping would be even more valuable if it were tailored to markets for maximum impact. For example, find which clothing, cosmetics, electronics, or leisure products are the most in demand for this season.
- Generate best sales using seasonal data: Customers expect companies to make good sales during the holiday shopping season. But if you discount everything in your store (including items, like toilet paper or paper towels, that customers will buy whether they’re discounted or not), you could be sending money out the door. The key to a successful holiday shopping season is knowing what discounts and when to make sales. Collecting public data can help you get a breakdown of how items are priced during the holiday season and, more importantly, which items customers seem willing to purchase at full cost and which items they expect to see marked down. Metadata can also give you information about the types of items your customers may be prone to buying impulsively. This data can help you position these types of items strategically in your store and on your website.
- Set competitive prices with holiday retail data: Pricing products is one of the most difficult aspects of running a retail business. If you set your prices too high, you’ll send customers directly to your competitors, but if you set them too high, you’ll ruin your profit margins. Many companies combat this problem by pricing items similar to how other retailers do. But during the holiday season, that strategy can be put to the test. Different companies make different sales and it is impossible to anticipate them, much less replicate them. Holiday shopping data can tell you what items your target customers are purchasing this holiday season. By knowing which items are the most popular in your store, you can price them competitively and attract consumers to your store and away from your competitors.
Scope of an expanded data scraping project for the holidays
While data scraping is one of the strongest tools for establishing an e-commerce presence, there are a few things that can be developed to increase the scope of the project for the holiday season and gain a stronger competitive advantage.
This means expanding on many aspects of data scraping that would not normally be done outside of the holiday season:
- New competitors: For example, the holiday season provides an opportunity to look for more websites outside of a company’s usual competitors. With more companies focused on capitalizing on the holiday and year-end retail rush, you can eliminate new and additional competitors and compile new data that can help you strategize more effectively, as well as prepare for future seasons with this data.
- Increase the frequency: For projects that typically pull data at a lower frequency, consider increasing the frequency with which your project collects data. During the holidays, retail data can become outdated at a much faster rate than during the rest of the year. This means that once-a-month scraping won’t necessarily be enough to develop a holistic vacation approach, but an increase to bi-monthly or even weekly scraping could help get ahead of competing strategies.
- More categories: During the holidays, certain keywords will become popular on many websites, which means more websites will overlap during the usual data extraction. The terms “sales,” “holidays,” “holidays,” and “gifts” will appear more frequently, and you will be able to track more holiday strategies being implemented on additional websites. This means more data sets to analyze and competitors to contend with. These changes in competing categories can also teach new businesses about typical search engine optimization methods for their websites.
- Explore reviews: Businesses should also take the time and attention to examine customer reviews, both from competitors and from their businesses. Listening to the feedback customers provide can help retailers understand how their products and services are received. With the increased frequency of data scraping, this can allow retailers a quick turnaround to shift their focus in time for the holiday season.
- More robust reporting: Part of what companies can add to a data scraping project to expand its reach is to develop an advanced analytical report based on the data collected. With all the data collected, it is possible to analyze trends and predict product price increases or drops when compared to historical data. We can also see if there are any other market factors unique to the holiday season after compiling and reviewing this data.
Dynamic data extracted from these sites with data scraping can help many competitive industries get ahead during one of the busiest times of the year, not just Retail.
Other industries, such as travel, hospitality, food, and catering, can make use of broader data scraping: expanded web scraping in these industries can see where people travel on vacation, what foods are in fashion, or the holiday sales that competing companies are promoting on their websites.
Data scraping or web scraping alone can allow companies of any size to adapt and adjust to trends to gain an advantage in advertising or product pricing over the competition.